Monday, October 15, 2012

Cooking & Kapitan Nyonya Curry Chicken Recipe

Well, well..at my ripe age, it's time that I learn how to cook!

I think my cooking experience started when I took my cooking badge back in my girl guide days. Haha..and then it was many many years that I didn't touch the kitchen.  When I had to throw a BBQ party some years back (after a lot of threatening and coaxing from my friends), I was actually quite petrified because I have no idea how to marinate the stuff and most importantly, I don't like to cook. But then I love food so much! So when we had a few potluck parties, I did take the effort to experiment with cooking the dishes that I like. The result wasn't too encouraging or motivating enough for me to try again. Ohh, before I continues, one VERY IMPORTANT thing that I have learnt is some of the recipe on the internet is really crappy, so best is to get your recipe from reputable sources.

Until recently, boredom has got into me and coincidentally  hubby just dig out some old cooking books. So, I am thinking to myself...cooking is not rocket science, what the heck, just give it a try! And I have to say that I am an ambitious person. Lol..

Hence, this is my first attempt for a full course meal.

 ABC soup & Beancurd

Brocolli with prawn & Steamed Emperor Chicken (using A1 brand paste :P)

Tomyam bihun

Overall ratings that I give myself. :P
Taste: 7-8 out of 10
Satisfaction: 8 out of 10
Level of Fatigue: 9.5 out of 10

Since I think I fare well in my first attempt and MIL has been bugging me for the leftover chilies in the fridge, I decided to try out this difficult recipe (for my standard) and I love it!

Presenting....


Curry Chicken, oppa Nyonya-style! 
(Like how you say Gangnam style!)




Here's the recipe:
Note: the red chilies should comes under B category and pounded together with the paste.

Wait a minute, for those like me who probably haven't heard of most of the ingredients above, DO NOT FRET.
The tip is you can get it all from those malay ministore that sells poultry, vegetables, etc.

Instructions:
1. Heat oil in wok, deep-fry potatoes wedges till golden brown in colour. Drain well and set aside.

2. Heat the balance cooking oil again, and stir-fry ingredients B till fragrant. Add in chicken, ingredients C and mix well. Stir-fry it for 10 minutes

3. Add in ingredients D and mix well. Lower down the flame and further simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add in fried potatoes and mix well.

Side notes:
I find that it get burnt easily while simmering in Step 3, so stir often.
In case if you are wondering, bunga kantan is to be finely chopped.
It tooks me more than 2 hours to complete this dish, so good luck to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Your comments are my vitamins!

Related Posts with Thumbnails