Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Dedicated to my mother & brother


I shared this story with the students when I was speaking at HELP University last Wednesday.

“When I was 5 years old, I thought that my family is really poor as my mom was working all the time and I only had one Barbie doll while my best friend has so many of them.
She has so many barbies, ken barbie, a barbie house, all the fancy barbie clothes, a maid and a pet too. That year, my best friend has a baby brother too, so I told my mom that I was lonely and wanted a baby brother.
And 3 years later, my baby brother was born, and I thought that it was the best present that I had in my life. Since my mom is working all the time, she bought me a lot of toys to play with, those that we bought at pasar malam. Sometimes, I would cry and cry until she bought it for me.
Lucky for her, I have never heard of toy r us then.
And I still grow up thinking that we are very poor as I had to help with the house work while my friends have maid. I also had to walk to tuition while my friend’s mom would fetch them.  When I was in primary 5, I still have one miserable Barbie doll, and she has no clothes to change.
I started working so that I can buy more Barbie Dolls. I was that desperate. I would walk about 5 km after school to a walk up apartment and sweep the floors and my friend’s father would give me RM15 each time. That was my happiest moment.”



To be continued... 

Sharing with you my favourite song:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Your comments are my vitamins!

Related Posts with Thumbnails